Mission Statement

My goal with mande plants is to teach about medicinal and edible plants, show how to grow these plants, where to find these plants, and how to use these plants. There are many useful botanicals in our world. I will growing seasonal crops and perennial edibles using organic methods as best as possible. One of my long term goals is to grow a temperate food forest garden. As I grow new plants and harvest them I will be sharing photos and details on this blog. All photos on this blog are taken by me. If you like this blog and you would like to help me further my research you can use the paypal donate button on the right. All donations will be used to buy tools, plants, seeds, and pay for expenses needed to develop gardens.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Geranium, Rosemary and Fava Beans

Geranium, Rosemary, and Fava Beans are three of the edibles I have growing at my place right now.




Geranium flowers are edible and have a very pleasant tart flavor. I have this plant outside and it seems to be handling the cold pretty well, it is rated for USDA zone 9b and I live in 8B/9A. It is used in companion planting to paralyze the Japanese Beetle.




Rosemary is a well known herb who's leaves go very well with meats and in dressings. The flowers of rosemary are edible as well, they have a sweet flavor with the typical rosemary overtone. Making a tea from rosemary is an excellent remedy for headaches, which my wife can attest to. Gardening rosemary as a perennial is possible down to USDA zone 7. In companion planting rosemary is used to aid cabbage, beans, and carrots by helping to repel their pests.




I planted these fava beans by seed in November. They make a nice winter or spring crop as they prefer cool weather to hot. Both the leaves and beans are edible. Some people may have a genetic enzyme deficiency that causes them to be allergic to fava beans. If you've never eaten these before don't indulge your first time.

Nutritional Value of Fava beans per 1 cup:
Calories - 187 or 9% DV
Protein - 12.6 g or 26% DV
Carbohydrates - 33.4g or 11% DV
Sugars - 3.1g
Dietary Fiber - 9.2g or 37% DV
Fat - 0.7g or 1% DV

Fava Beans are a significant source of Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorous, copper, and manganese.

The Estimated Glycemic load is 13.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for coming by my blog and visiting with a comment! I look forward to seeing how your medicinal garden grows and learn from it. Will be checking by, again.

    ReplyDelete